[TPR] Racing Pantera value - market study

Patrick Hals patrickhals at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 13:44:25 PST 2010

What is the value of a good reliable quick racing Pantera ?
For the moment, in Europe, you have several VERY interesting race Panteras
for sale, but NONE SELLS...
Why is that ?
Several REAL factory GR4's are announced between 200.000 euros and 390.000
euros. ( VIN's 2343, 2344, 2873 and possibly one other in Germany )
A replica ( original GR3, VIN 5855 ) is announced 298.000 £ . This car raced
LMC this year, and was the ONLY one to finish. Another one ( 1189) belonging
to Jean Grazziani in Corsica ( priced reduced at 185.000 euros ) doesn't
find a buyer either, however it is a superb very very quick car that I
inspected myself at Le Mans Classic 2008.
A Danish Pantera L based GR4 is announced 145.000 euros, and is a damn quick
car ! Winning several races, a.o in Spa and Germany.
The "mouth watering" Michael Erlich GR3 - GR5 car ( not even a REAL GR3 car
! ) that we all saw on Youtube in Spa Francorchamps, is announced 370.000
euros  ( and it's not even a real factory GR.3 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-GiX7DxBBs
It took me more than 18 months to find a suitable buyer for my Andy Warhol
prestigious factory GR4 car ( winning the 1000 km of Monza in 1972, a.o) .
The car never raced after me ( best Pantera at LMC 2006, 21st overall, best
Pantera lap)
I also forget real GR3 cars, ( not talking about " claimed" Gr3 cars) , like
the real grey VIN 1070 of Eric Moskovicz, original condition throughout at
150.000 euros, fully restored Gerard Marcy's VIN 5006 Bang & Olufsen at
260.000 euros ( ! but she looks like a brand new car with patina, amazing
resto, the best I've seen and tested) and all the fake "real" and others.
Stephane Poux has been desperately trying to sell his GR3 ( converted Gr4 )
VIN 7490  for the last five years or so ( but his price is more than an
original GR4...) and the car never ever saw a track ( apart from YouTube)
In the States, there is factory GR4 2824, a beautiful and extremely quick
car, belonging to Dick Lasselle, and VIN 001 ( group 5 - group C , belonging
to Dave Adler and his associate) . Those cars are not finding a buyer , and
they've been offered for sale for a long time !.
What would be the value of the Kleinpeter's wreck ( you can only keep the
VIN plate ) or, on the other opposite, apparently immaculate and pampered
Dennis Quella tube car, or Greg Esakoffs ( my favourite " bestial" tube
cars ) ...
Are we all dreaming ? ( up or down, willing to buy the best rarest Gr 4
factory car  for nothing, or selling "tributes" for the price of a real car.
Are there any " young" buyers, or only nostalgics of the 70's.
In Europe, building a GR4 replica will cost more or less say, 100.000 euros,
this is not peanuts, but it ain't much for a car like that. And it will keep
its value. ( not like modern cars)... It doesn't necessarily means the car
will be quick, ... lots of promises and not hold ( I've experienced that
unfortunately ) . Should we start building replicas ( like I do for one of
my sons ) or "invest" in the real stuff ( that might be slower than the
replica )
How come GT40's are easily reaching 1.000.000 to 1.500.0000 euros, while
there are more than 100 original race cars ( 13 original Pantera GR4's in
existence today) And let's talk about Porsche, or Ferrari, where price is
skyrocketing ( while the performances , compared to a Pantera, are so-so?)
Poor marketing, bad reputations ( gragility, overheating, gearbox??? we all
know it ain't true, but the others don't )
I ask you, the Gurus... What is the real value ? or, alternatively, what
should we do to get our cars priced right ( or more) ?  To me today, owning
a pantera is just like playing the lottery... whatever you buy. But, at the
end of the day, the FUN is IMMENSE.
There are so few people who know that ( or who tend to forget it ) ! and
yet, to me, it was the FIRST element that came into consideration : FUN !
I BCC some friends who, I know, will have an interesting point of view, (
that I will copy if they allow me) however they are not part of the present
list ( sorry for them...)
Pat